I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. I Samuel 1:27

Friday, May 11, 2007

So Many Dates

There are so many significant dates in a Guatemalan adoption. You have the day you decide to adopt, the day of your homestudy, the day you are completely paper ready and on the list for a referral, the day you get your referral, the very first time you hold your child, the time you hold your child when he/she is legally yours, your Embassy day, and the day you arrive back in the United States. These are all major milestones.

Today is one of those days.

A year ago today I came back into my office after being in some meetings. I had a missed call and a voice mail from Marie at Mary Kendall. She asked me to call her. My initial thought was, "Great, there must be something wrong with my paperwork." I had just been told the day before that everything was great and that we were on the list for a referral.

I called back and was told the wonderful news that they had a little boy for us. I'll never forget that feeling when I looked at his picture for the first time. I can't say that it was love at first sight. It was more awe and amazement that this was actually working.

I was a mom - I had a son - and four days before Mother's Day.

So, Happy Referral Day!!

10 comments:

Natalie said...

Happy Referral Day and Happy Mother's Day!

Alleen said...

Happy Referral Day!!!!!!!!!!!

Krystal said...

That was a pretty awesome Mother's Day gift :) Happy Referral Day & Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Mackenzie's Forever Family said...

you're right there are so many significant days when you adopt. This is one of the best ones though. Enjoy it.

Megan

ginger said...

Happy Referral Day!!! Have a great Mother's Day.

Lori said...

Happy Referral Day and Mother's Day!!

The McKenzie Crew said...

Happy Mother's Day:)

JUlia:)

nikki said...

Happy Referral Day!!!! And Happy Mothers Day!!!!

Carrie said...

It is amazing and I get goose bumps thinking about it. It will always be a special date! Part of his history.

Hope you enjoyed!

Kris and Mindy said...

Oh I remember referral day like it was yesterday. It was one of those BIG days in your life that you remember forever. I can so relate!
Hugs