I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. I Samuel 1:27

Thursday, June 21, 2007

We Got Our First Comment

Many people who adopt get comments (mostly rude, sometimes just ignorant) from people (either people they know or strangers on the street).

We've been lucky so far, and really haven't had any stupid/rude comments. (we mostly hear from people just how beautiful Alex is - and of course I agree!)

We got our first comment on Father's Day. (or I should say that Jay did)

We went to the local country club after church on Sunday for lunch. (we don't belong, but the restaurant is open to the public) Alex did well, but was ready to get down and walk around. Jay took him so I could finish eating. (yes - I know it was Father's Day - but he was done eating, and I wasn't)

A grandma commented to Jay about how beautiful Alex is. (in fact her actual quote was "Isn't he just about the most perfect gift from God!" as she was watching her OWN GRANDKIDS!) And it's important to note that Jay has blond hair and green eyes.....

She then said, "You must take him to the pool a lot. He sure is tan."

Jay just smiled and said, "Yes, we do take him to the pool a lot." He then walked away.

I know it wasn't rude or ignorant, but it's the first time we've had someone comment on the fact that Alex doesn't look like us. I thought it was pretty funny, and really, Jay didn't lie - we do take him to the pool a lot!!

3 comments:

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

People really should mind their own business.

Mindy said...

It's so hard because I think as adoptive parents we are always on edge a little when people throw comments our way. I think most of the time they are well-intended but it's hard to take sometimes. I never answer by saying anything that the people would want to hear. I think they WANT me to tell them something but I refuse and always play the comments off...leaving them to just wonder. I am sure we will hear many more...UGH.
Hugs

Carrie, Rich and the Kids said...

Savannah really has gotten tan this summer, but many people have mentioned it. Most are jealous I think, because her skin tone is perfect and what everyone wants. One comment was from a woman in playgroup who did not even know she was adopted and met her in the winter, so I know she did not mean anything by it.

We are sensitive though and I think strangers should keep comments to themselves.

BTW my husband is sandy colored hair with blue eyes. I have dark hair and eyes though.