I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. I Samuel 1:27

Monday, August 06, 2007

Alex's Vocabulary - EDITED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS

EDITED******

Some of you have asked what I'm using or how I've learned sign language. I've always been fascinated by sign language and have taken classes a few times in my life. That said - since I never used it, I never really remembered it. Just before we brought Alex home, I asked around to see what people were using. The "Signing Time" series came highly recommended - and I also HIGHLY recommend it. You can find it on amazon - or you can purchase them from their website. www.signingtime.com

I would suggest starting with the Baby Signing Time DVDs (there are two). We started right in with the regular Signing Time series (we have the first 3 volumes) but the Baby Signing Time is better for 2 years old and younger.

We've been watching the DVDs with Alex since we brought him home. It was VERY early for him to start sign language, but Jay and I started picking it up. I then just signed when I was talking (if I said words that I knew). It took 4 months (he was 9 1/2 months old) before he signed anything back to us, and it's really been the last 2-3 months that he's really taken off.

If you have a DVR, you may also want to search for Signing Time. 30 minute programs of Signing Time is now being shown on our local PBS station at 5:30 am on Sundays. We've been Tivoing them so now we have LOTS more episodes. I also look up certain signs on the internet if there is a word that we want to work on.

It's also never to late to start. My two girlfriends started doing signing with their kids when they were 13 and 18 months and they picked it up REALLY quickly.

And about the talking stuff - studies have shown that kids that sign don't speak any later than their non-signing peers. (some studies say they speak earlier, but there is some controversy around those) I don't think that signing has "stunted" Alex's speaking - in fact - I think it has enhanced his language skills.

If anyone has any other questions about signing - please email me and I'll be happy to talk to you about it. kimhartz@hotmail.com

(and Lori - you can borrow the DVDs!!)


My mom suggested that I document all of the words that Alex is signing now. So, here it is. (in no particular order and the ones marked with an asterisks are the ones that he does on a consistent basis)

more*
eat*
water*
milk*
all done*
banana*
berry*
cracker*
grapes*
cookie
apple*

cat*
dog*
horse*
frog*
bird*
cow

book*
read*
help
ball*
flower

mom*
dad*
grandma
please*
hot*
hat*
shoes
train*
car*
potty (he does it when mommy is going potty!!)
baby*
signing
time

(ok - so I thought he had more signs than this!! Jay and I can't think of any more!!)

Alex also said his first word tonight. He picked up his empty bottle - looked at Jay and said more. I didn't really hear it - Jay got excited. I asked Alex what he wanted and he looked at me and said "more" He then signed more, milk, please. :)

I have lots of pictures from Fancy Farm that I'll post later this week. I've got to get to bed. I have a 7:00 am global call for work!! :)

14 comments:

Farrah said...

Kim,
Where did you learn to teach him all those signs? I don't know but about 2
But that is very awesome...

Alleen said...

Holy moly!!!! That's awesome! I feel bad as I really just started trying to teach Gabriella some. I've only tried eat, more and all done. But, I really need to try to do it more since her language is obviously very late and she gets frustrated.

Krystal said...

That is a HUGE vocabulary for a 15 month old!!!! Way to go, Alex! It's really awesome that he puts signs together AND that he has good manners! Brayden has only started using "please" very recently. He also uses "sorry" now, but he seems to think that he can do anything (mostly pick on his sister!) and then say "sorry" and it is OK.

How fun that Alex said his first word :) That boy will be talking up a storm before you know it!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Smart Boy!!!

Natalie said...

Way to go Alex! What a smartie you are! That's got to be so much fun watching him learn all of these wonderful things!

Soltana said...

Hey I don't see:
MINE and NO...
Cerah's 2 favorite words right now!!! You're lucky!!!

ALmost time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debra said...

Wow, impressive! What a great tool to help the communication process. I need to work on this more with Alexis she would rather watch me sign then do it herself.

Kerry said...

You are SO making me look bad!

Lori and Robby said...

OK, I am going to need to borrow those signing videos! That is awesome that Alex is using that many signs -- so smart!!!

Sophie's mommy said...

Hey Kim:

Haven't heard from you for awhile. Are you planning to help Krystal with the spag. dinner. Keep me posted, I am in. If TRU scheudle allows. When you come my way, give me a yell, love to see you again. If you stop at the store, have them page me, very rarely I am out of my office.

Carrie, Rich and the Kids said...

That is a lot of signing. It is amazing how fast they pick it up. How did you learn it?

I have a book, but I am mixed about teaching Savannah to sign, even though I like the idea of it. I want her to talk though. I am afraid she won't if I teach her to sign. There is a signing class about 45 minutes away and I would love to do it in a group. I think I want to do it after she speaks though. She is talking a lot for her age and I want to encourage that and then do signing.

It is so incredible when they say their first word. Savannah said Da da at 9 months and then ma-ma two weeks later. She puts words together and it is amazing. I am a very verbal person though. I go on and on and on and on...can you tell?

Candy said...

WOW that is AWESOME...Kya just does Thank You...I am the Major in Child Development and Have even taken the Baby Sign Class...and her Daddy is the one who taught her Thank You...I guess I better get in gear...

nikki said...

Wow! That is allot of words for him to know. Kim you are an awesome Mom!!!

Candy said...

Thanks so much I will TIVO that show and look for the DVDS...Kya is ALL ABOUT watching TV so I think the DVD's would be great for us