I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. I Samuel 1:27

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Fancy Farm

All I can say about Fancy Farm is - it was HOT and there were a lot of people there!!

As I said before, the Fancy Farm barbecue is the longest running single day barbecue in the United States. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I was pretty much blown away. There were a TON of people and the food was really good.
Here are some pictures from the day.
Here are the barbecue pits. There was a whole row of them.

There were about 5 of these charcoal pits. They filled these with wood Friday night, lit them up, and burned the wood down. From what we understand, the flames were shooting about 40 feet up in the air!

Here's a picture of the people waiting for the political speechafying (yes, that's a technical term) to begin.

This is a picture I've been wanting to get for awhile. (unfortunately, Alex wasn't exactly cooperating) This is Alex with our Secretary of State, Trey Grayson. For those of you who have adopted, you know that the Secretary of State's office is an important step in getting your documents ready for your dossier.

Here's the Bingo "hall." No self respecting Catholic summer picnic would be without one of these. I would say that there were about 500 people playing Bingo at all times. I love to play Bingo - but it was just too hot - and too many people to attempt it.

Here's some Alex cuteness by the wood pile.

This next set of pictures crack me up! I'll narrate.

Look mom - what's this on the ground?

Is this a rock, or dirt, or a leaf, or a stick?

Excuse me mommy while I just walk over here and take my paci out.

Hum....this is pretty yummy!

And...in comes mommy to try to save the day.

Here's an example of some the things that the politicians do at Fancy Farm. It's all about the number of supports, the signs and the "props."

Our current Attorney General (a democrat) convened a grand jury to indict members of our current Governor's (a republican) staff on his hiring practices. Our Governor is up for re-election, so this is what his opponent brought to Fancy Farm.

Here's the only reason why I survived the day.

I have become very spoiled - I don't know how people handled the day without an RV!!

And - here is Alex at the end of the day. He was quite tired.

7 comments:

Krystal said...

OK, you got a pic with Trey Grayson & I am CRACKING UP!!!!! Just today DH & I were discussing how horrible our county clerk office is (they are so mean when we take stuff in for certification), and how the ladies in the Sec of State office are sooooooooo good to us. . . I love it :)

Soltana said...

Looks like fun. Larry would have loved the bbq pits!!!

Cute pics of Alex... isn't it funny how they pick up ANYTHING and decide it's somehting good to eat :)

Natalie said...

Cute pics! That RV is seriously a mansion on wheels...stylin'!

LouLou said...

I was wondering how you survived that day! I was sweating just looking at the pics!!! I wish AP would take a paci, but she gags whenever I put one near her mouth!

Anonymous said...

I am never amazed at how small our world is anymore. I grew up near Fancy Farm, KY! I stumbled onto your blog today and was mesmerized that I was looking at the FF picnic! Your little guy is so cute!

Sophie's mommy said...

Kim I love the picture of Alex siting next to the wood pile. He is so darn cute. Bring that rv down are way! hehe. I am sure, I will see you around the holidays. You better find my office. lol

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Looks like so much fun!!! Great pics of Alex.