I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. I Samuel 1:27

Thursday, March 29, 2007

I Think I'm Overreacting

Something happened last week to me at work and I can't get it out of my head. I think I'm overreacting, and I hope by writing it down I can get over it!!

(if you read this, and work with me, please don't say anything to anyone about this)

I need to start by saying that Jay and I have been blessed with incredible support for our adoption by friends, family and co-workers. We truly are VERY lucky. I've heard many of you (and many on the a.com forum) talk about the non-support from various people. If anyone was against this adoption, they certainly didn't let me know about it.

My company/boss has also been very supportive of my adoption. Our company doesn't offer maternity benefits for adoption (just FLMA) but they do offer $5,000 in adoption assistance.

So, saying all of that, I can't believe that the following bothered me.

Another co-worker of mine just had a baby last week. We had just gotten all of the specifics (day she was actually born, height, weight, name) and someone mentioned that we needed to get the information to P. in HR so that the company could send the blanket. I asked what blanket were they talking about. They said that our company sends a baby blanket personalized with the baby's name, and date of birth to the hospital after a baby is born.

I never got a blanket.

Ok - now that I've written it down it sounds stupid. Alex certainly doesn't need a blanket, and it's really not a big deal. But - when they told me that, my heart just sunk. I had a baby - I just wasn't in the hospital with him.

Alright - I'm over it. :)

(and I don't have any new pictures - I'll take some today - I promise!!)

10 comments:

Soltana said...

I would be a little upset too.. But some people just don't think... If I knew how to make a blanket I would :)
Hope you have a better day
Soltana

Alleen said...

Of course he doesn't NEED a blanket, but it's certainly the gesture that would have been nice.

Krystal said...

I don't think you're overreacting -- or maybe I would just overreact with you. I've had a lot of trouble lately dealing with how differently some people have reacted to Parker's arrival vs. Brayden's arrival. It's small stuff, but for some reason it really gets to me! I think I totally understand how you feel about the blanket!

Happy said...

I don't think it's stupid and your feelings are TOTALLY VALID! I know I would feel the same way if it was me.

Lori and Robby said...

I'm with ya -- I would be a little hurt if Cohen didn't get a blanket.

Bekah said...

I would be hurt as well. You aren't overreacting....you did have a baby and yes, he doesn't NEED a blanket but he is your son and should be celebrated just like a new birth.

Anonymous said...

I work with you and did not receive a blanket. If there is such a thing put me on the list of offended co-workers. - Sandra

Unknown said...

NOT overreacting at all! you def. deserve everything that all other new babies and new mommies get!! it you can't get it out of your mind, this could be a great little time for a Teachable Moment for the HT dept! ;)
they can't claim Ignorance, if you tell them!

Carrie, Rich and the Kids said...

It isn't the blanket, it is the idea and the thought. I would be hurt too. I don't think you are overreacting. Why should adopted children be treated differently? I would feel the same way. My husband's job did not even get us a card and I asked another person who had a baby and she said they sent flowers 2 months later. We got nada. Oh well!

Mark said...

We didn't get a blanket for Landon either, so you're not alone. It was our assumption that they just didn't do it anymore - as a result of all of the recent HR cutbacks. But we never actually followed-up.