I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. I Samuel 1:27

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Introducing

Edited to fix the website!

Lucinda Maribel

Isn't she beautiful!! And before some of you start freaking out - no - we are not adopting her. In fact, she's not eligible for adoption. We are going to be sponsoring her for the 2008 school year through Mayan Families. School is free in Guatemala, but there are many things that have to be purchased for them to attend. For $120.00 we can make sure she has all of the supplies she needs for the school year. Her family lives in a very remote area of Guatemala, they have very little money, no Onil stove, no water filter, no pila, no closets, and they don't own their own land. For about $500 we can take care of all of these things (except for the land - that's a much bigger project!!) for this family. I'm hoping that we can get this all taken care of for them by the first of the year.

If any of you are interested in sponsoring any children, please go to

http://mayanfamiliesstudentsponsorship.blogspot.com/

There will be more children posted. Many of the children look like they have sponsors, but most of these families sponsored for 2007. They are in the process of determining if the same families will be sponsoring for 2008. I also think that they are working on getting the rest of the pictures/stories up on the site.

I'm very impressed with this organization. The only downfall right now is that they do not have non-profit status in the United States, so if you give them money, it's not tax deductable. They are working on that and hope to have that fixed soon.

Let me know if you have any questions.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Just amazing. I have been thinking about doing this so much lately and I really want to do it. I just want to be able to give back to the country that gave me so much! Congrats on your sponsorship...such a wonderful thing!

Farrah said...

I want to sponser a child. But when I clicked on the link it didn't come up. Can you maybe check on that and let me know..
Also Kim email me your addy so I can send your book back, WE started the classes and so know we have our own. adoptingmom29@yahoo.com

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

She is so beautiful!!! I am sponsoring a child from Boliva. It is so rewarding and special when you get letters from them. They always seem so happy and grateful.

Sarah said...

Kim:

She is gorgeous! I also have a child that I sponsor through Mayan Families and am going there in November. Let me know if you want to send a ziploc with a gift for her!

Sarah

The Frugal Countess said...

That is so cool!! I am going to check it out - I feel like we owe that country so much. What an awesome opportunity you've given that little girl and her family!! :)