I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. I Samuel 1:27

Monday, September 24, 2007

Weekend Update

(although not as funny as SNL!!)
We had a great weekend. It started Saturday morning when we went to the Kentucky Folklife Festival. The Kentucky Folklife Festival is a 3 day event celebrating the food, music, dance, crafts and lifestyles of all of the different cultures that make up Kentucky. It's a free event and I really wanted to check it out.
There was a tent for Guatemala where they had a miniature alfombra created. There wasn't anyone in the tent when we were there - and can you believe it - I didn't get any pictures of it!!! There were big poster type things at each tent so even if there wasn't anyone there you could still learn about that culture. The poster at the Guatemalan tent talked about the Catholic Church in our county. They do an alfombra every year around Semana Santa.

(for those of you who don't know, an alfombra is a colorful sawdust carpet that people in Guatemala make during Lent that the processions walk on during Holy Week - Semana Santa)

They even had a kid's tent where they could make different craft type things from around the world. One of the things they could make were mini alfombras. I was wishing Alex was a little older so we could go do it!! :)

We then watched a dance troupe from Louisville who does traditional Mexican dancing. Alex liked it for a little bit. There was a bunch of stomping which got his attention. Before the dancing starting, Alex got his try at the dance floor.












Saturday afternoon my Ohio State Buckeyes put a beating on Northwestern. YEAH! We also stopped at Kroger and let Alex ride in the little car on the front of the cart - he LOVED it!!!





Do you see him here - reading and riding. :)

Sunday we had our new Music Director start. He will be our organist, pianist and choir director. This makes me very happy as this means I won't have to play piano in church except to fill in for Shain.

Sunday afternoon I beat my opponent in my Fantasy Football league. In fact - I still have my quarterback to go tonight and I already beat him!!

Sunday night I went to the Latin Family Connection Mom's Night Out. It was a wonderful evening of good food and good fellowship. Lori and Robbie brought Cohen over for a little bit. Cohen is now signing more and it's SOOO cute!!! Lori also did a presentation on the orphanages that they had a chance to visit when they were down in Guatemala. It was very informative, but also made me even more sad for the children down there.

All in all - it was a pretty wonderful weekend.

6 comments:

Farrah said...

WOW looks like such a great weekend..

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Looks like a GREAT weekend!!! Love the pictures.

Crystal said...

Kim--I just LOVE you and I LOVE your heart!!! You are such an encourager to us all!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!! :O) ALex is such a little cutie pie and such a big boy riding that car --It looks like you guys had so much fun at the festival!!!

ps--I LOVED the part about the Buckeyes!!!!!!! Go BUCKS!!!!! Caleb said to me today mommy I can spell Buckeyes --it is O-H-I-O and did the motions --I love it!!!!!

Soltana said...

How cute!! Looks like you guys had fun. LOVE the picture of Alex with his tongue sticking out SOOO CUTE!!!!!

nikki said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. Alex looks so cute running around in those little sneakers.

Carrie, Rich and the Kids said...

Kim, sounds like a great weekend and a wonderful festival with so much culture. I wish we had something like that around here.

Glad you had fun at the mom's night out and you are off the hook for piano playing for awhile. My hubby plays piano, but we are a little far for him to fill in.

Love the photos of Alex reading in the cart. Savannah also likes the shopping carts with the car now MUCH better than sitting in shopping cart. I set her up with snacks, sippy cup, and toys and it is like a carnival at the food store.